Date: Nov 26 2020, 9:30 a.m. - Nov 30 2020
Spend Thanksgiving Weekend searching the skies for the elusive Northern Lights in Reykjavik, Iceland.
You are mistaken if you think a winter trip to The Land of Fire and Ice will be bitterly cold and scenically unattractive. This special trip from Kaiserslautern Outdoor Recreation will do away with that common prejudice, because Thanksgiving Weekend in Iceland will be one of the most amazing travel experiences you will ever have. Your package will include a guided tour of Reykjavik, a scenic tour of the volcanic and geologically active countryside, and a free day for you to use visiting the Blue Lagoon Spa, riding the famous Icelandic Horses, or taking a Game of Thrones tour. The highlight of your trip will be when the photography professionals at the Aurora Center set up your camera for astro-photograpy, followed by a late night cruise by boat far from the city lights to search for the Aurora Borealis at sea.
Viewing the Northern Lights from a boat is a once in a lifetime experience! This trip has an early signup deadline, and previous trips have sold out at the speed of light. It will not wait for you to make up your mind. Reserve your space with Kaiserslautern Outdoor Recreation today!
Day 1: Kaiserslautern to Reykjavik
After your flight to Keflavik, you will transfer to your city center hotel, located in the heart of Reykjavik. The many restaurants and bars downtown and in the old harbor will make it difficult to decide where to eat dinner, but the Sea Baron and Icelandic Fish and Chips, are both within walking distance of your hotel, are always popular choices.
Day 2: Reykjavik City - Aurora Center - Northern Lights by Boat*
You will visit many sites during your morning tour of the northernmost capital city in the world. Hallgrims Church and the statue of Leif Erikson, are especially striking when the morning sun rises behind them, and the view from the observation deck of the Perlan will allow you to take a panorama photo of the city. In the afternoon, the friendly professionals at the Aurora Center will explain the science behind the Northern Lights and help you set up your camera to take professional quality photos of them if they appear** during tonight’s cruise on Faxafloi bay.
Day 3: Golden Circle Tour*
Don’t forget to dress warmly today, because you will be venturing into Iceland's wilderness on the Golden Circle tour. On this scenic tour of the uninhabited center of Iceland, you will see evidence of the island’s geothermic activity. The Thingvellir National Park is the rift valley between the North American Continental Plate and the Eurasian Continental Plate, and is where the Althing, the worlds oldest continually active parliament, was founded, and also the film site for many scenes in Game of Thrones. The beauty of Gullfoss, the golden waterfall will take your breath away, and when Iceland’s largest active geyser, Strokkur, erupts in a cloud of steam, you will know you are in The Land of Fire and Ice.
Day 4: Free Day*
How will you experience Iceland today? The answer is up to you. In addition to many unique and interesting museums detailing Icelands maritime and Viking history, Reykjavik also has numerous tour and activity options. If adrenaline and extreme nature are your friends, you may find yourself ice caving, lava tubing, riding the famous Icelandic Horses, or trekking upon one of Icelands glaciers. If a more relaxing day is more your speed, you will want to have reservations for Icelands largest tourist attraction, The Blue Lagoon, or one of the many other geothermic spa areas which can be found near Reykjavik. Whatever you choose to do, make sure to make your plans early. Tourism is Icelands largest industry and many things sell out months in advance and require advance booking.
Day 5: Return to Kaiserslautern
A morning flight from Reykjavik to Frankfurt will have you back home and publishing your vacation photos before dinner. Your friends are sure to be jealous when they hear of your visit to Iceland, The Land of Fire and Ice.
*Dates/times for Northern Lights Boat Trip, Golden Circle Tour and Free Day are subject to change due to weather.
**The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and their visibility is not guaranteed.
Price on or prior to 21 August 2020:
- Double Occupancy: $1499 per person
- Single Occupancy: $1799
- Children 6-11 with 2 paid adults: $1299 per child
- Children 3-5 with 2 paid adults: $1199 p.c.
- Infants under 2: $429 p.c.
Price on or after 22 August 2020:
- Double Occupancy: $1599 per person, plus any airline supplements
- Single Occupancy: $1899, plus any airline supplements
- Children 6-11 with 2 paid adults: $1299 per child, plus any airline supplements
- Children 3-5 with 2 paid adults: $1199 p.c., plus any airline supplements
- Infants under 2: $429 p.c., plus any airline supplements
Deadlines: Additional airline price supplements may apply to reservations made on or after Monday, August 24
- Round trip transportation from Pulaski Barracks including airfare and airport shuttles
- 4 nights lodging at a three star city center hotel
- Daily breakfast
- Guided tour of Reykjavik
- Admission to Aurora Center
- Admission to Wonders of Iceland
- Admission to Perlan Observation Deck
- Northern Lights Boat trip*
- Guided “Golden Circle” sightseeing trip
*The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and their visibility is not guaranteed.
What to Bring:
- Comfortable, weather appropriate shoes & clothing including warm winter outerwear, hats, boots & gloves
- Quality camera with ability to change exposure times and disable flash, tripod and remote control
- Credit/Debit card or Icelandic Crowns
- Military ID and Passport
Departure: 9:30 a.m.
Return: Around 2 p.m.
All reservations must be made through Army Outdoor Recreation. Sign up today by contacting:
Army Outdoor Recreation, Kaiserslautern Community
Pulaski Barracks, Bldg. 2905
To speed up your registration process, download and complete the reservation packet (.pdf) before you contact Kaiserslautern Outdoor Recreation to reserve your space.Cancellations:
- Cancellations initiated by Kaiserslautern Outdoor Recreation will be fully refundable.
- In addition to the standard ODR cancellation fee, customer initiated cancellations made for any reason on or after Monday, August 24 may be assessed a cancellation/name change fee by various 3rd party vendors. This fee and any other 3rd party fees are not refundable by ODR under any circumstances.
- If payment plan is made, initial deposit is not refundable under any circumstances.
- Kaiserslautern Outdoor Recreation strongly recommends purchasing travel insurance from a licensed vendor for this trip. Travel Insurance is available from USAA, ADAC and many credit card providers.
- 10% cancellation fee for all cancellations made before Friday, August 21
- 40% cancellation fees for all cancellations made on or after Monday, August 24
- 60% cancellation fees for all cancellations made on or after Monday, October 12
- 80% cancellation fees for all cancellations made on or after Wednesday, November 4
- 95% cancellation fees for all cancellations made on or after Wednesday, November 11
- 100% cancellation fee for all cancellations made on or after Wednesday, November 18
- In the event that a customer cancellation results in a fee charged to Outdoor Recreation, regardless of the date of that cancellation, the total sum of those fees will be passed along to the customer
Trip timelines and schedule are subject to change at any time due to changes in COVID restrictions.
- All trips are departing from the Pulaski Sports Pavilion in Pulaski Park until further notice.
- Masks covering your nose and mouth are required at all times on the bus.
- Hands must be sanitized before boarding the bus.
- Enter and exit through the rear door only.
- Seats may be assigned in advance to promote physical distancing and contact tracing. Requests for specific seats are not being accepted.
- All passengers must provide full name, physical address and phone number for contact tracing purposes.
- Eating and drinking in ODR vehicles is not authorized
- All Travel Documentation is the responsibility of the passenger. Border restrictions may occur at any time without warning. Many European countries are expected to continue entry restrictions for personnel traveling only on US Tourist Passports. Therefore ODR strongly recommends that all travelers travel with both their tourist and official passports and/or SOFA card.
- Tel: +49 (0)631-3406-4117
- Military DSN Tel: (314)493-4117