Utility Tax Avoidance Program (UTAP)
- UTAP Overview
The finance ministries of the NATO Forces established the Utility Tax Avoidance Program (UTAP) to allow authorized customers tax-free utilities with participating utility companies.
The UTAP program is designed for service members assigned to Europe, or U.S. civilians working for the U.S. Forces and some contractors, provided they are under the Tessa Agreement.
DoD mandates the use of UTAP in an effort to secure effective tax relief from foreign taxes on residential consumption of electricity, gas and water in Germany. To be eligible for UTAP individuals must receive their utilities from a provider that has a contractual agreement with the Tax Relief Office (TRO).
Some utilities could fall under additional cost "Nebenkosten", paid directly to the landlord, these costs are not covered by UTAP. For people who own their residence, all utility costs are covered by UTAP.
Providing your banking information is a requirement to enter the UTAP program.
- UTAP Savings
UTAP can save you hundreds of dollars annually off your utilities. With UTAP you will save 19% Value Added Tax on Electrical and Gas. Additionally, in some states select companies can save up to 11% additional cost per kwh on electricity tax and up to 7% on Gas (Eco Tax). Call your local UTAP office for more information about the companies that work with UTAP in your area and their tax exemptions. Providing your banking information is a requirement to enter the UTAP program.
Service Percentage Discounted (Taxes) Electricity 19% VAT & up to 11% electricity tax (select companies only) Gas 19% VAT & up to 7% eco tax (select companies only)
- Required Information/Process to Set up UTAP
Before coming to the UTAP office, please be sure to have all the required information completed and with you for your UTAP appointment.
Complete the walk through with housing.
Make sure you double check all meter numbers and meter readings.
Find out who your utility providers are.
Ask your landlord if he is going to register you with the utility provider. If he states this is your responsibility, UTAP can help you with this.
Complete the UTAP Application found in the forms section below. The form needs to be TYPED and then printed.
Complete “Start Form” for each utility company. The forms must be TYPED and then printed. Forms cannot be accepted if handwritten.
Copy of lease.
Banking information from local Credit Union, Community Bank or German bank
If you own your home, bring copies of the purchase contract cover page with notary stamp, page with home address, and page with signatures.
UTAP Registration Fee of $99, payable in cash, check or credit card. Reimbursable through the miscellaneous expense allowance.
Valid Active Duty or Civilian ID card (retired military ID cards are not accepted).
Copy of orders (mandatory for Active Duty personnel)
Read the SEPA handout (download)
If you sign up for UTAP you are also required to close out with UTAP before moving to your new destination.
USAG Rheinland-Pfalz Requirements (Kaiserslautern Community)
To be eligible for the UTAP, the following must be presented to the USAG Rheinland-Pfaz Tax Relief Office (TRO):
- Active duty or DOD civilian ID card.
- Official orders (active duty only).
- Signed rental agreement from the housing referral office or landlord, or proof of home ownership.
- Utility company billing information for each utility company used by the Service member or civilian.
- A $99 registration fee. This may be paid by cash, check, or credit card.
- Spouse’s name and social security number (if applicable).
- Complete the required UTAP Application found in the forms section below. The form needs to be TYPED and then printed.
- UTAP Forms
- Required Banking Info
German Bank Identification (BIC) Codes
Community Bank BIC #: MNBIDEF1
Service Federal Credit Union BIC #: SCRUDE51
ROB VAT Office
|Monday||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Tuesday||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Wednesday||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Thursday||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Friday||9 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
Make Your Appointment
Customers can make an appointment by clicking on the WebTrac link.
1. Click in the Community Recreation button to the left and then select Europe from the Select State/Country Drop Down box.
2. Hit the search button and then search for Rheinland Pfalz-Kaiserslautern.
3. Under MWR programs to the left, click on UTAP Appointment.
4. Click on Schedule an Appointment
5. Select a date after October 1 and begin time: 0900 and end time: 1700, then click the search button.
6. Now you can pick and choose the time and date that you would like to schedule a UTAP registration appointment.
7. You will need to create an account to include a username and password. Once that has been completed, you can then make an appointment to register for UTAP.
8. Please be sure to bring all necessary documentation that is listed to include the completed application found here.
*Everything that you need to bring with you to register is listed on the appointment page.